Switch Africa Green
SWITCH Africa Green, a European Union-funded project, supports transformation towards an inclusive green economy. The project assists small, medium and micro-sized enterprises (SMMEs) with the transition towards incorporating resource efficient and cleaner production (RECP) methodologies in their businesses. It promotes eco entrepreneurship through the application of sustainable consumption and production practices.
One (big!) step towards entrenching a business culture of sustainable consumption and productive practices, involves the launch of a pilot project in January 2016 – the Industrial Symbiosis Programme.
The Industrial Symbiosis Programme is being implemented in six African countries and embraces an innovative waste management tool involving trade in waste. Continuing until June 2018, the pilot project forms part of the European Union’s support of the African 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production.
The pilot project – led by the United Nations Environment Programme – targets Burkino Faso, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, South Africa and Uganda. Non-profit organisations will implement the project in each country. Technical support and coordination services are provided by Industrial Symbiosis Ltd of the United Kingdom. The African Roundtable on Sustainable Consumption and Production in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, is the implementation overseer.
Project implementation organisations
- Kenya National Production Centre (www.cpkenya.org)
- National Cleaner Production Centre of South Africa (www.ncpc.co.za)
- Uganda Cleaner Production Centre, (www.ucpc.co.ug)
Implementation in South Africa
The National Cleaner Production Centre of South Africa (NCPC-SA) leads the project implementation.
Benefits to SMMEs
- Learn how to track materials;
- Identify, quantify and analyse all significant materials inputs and outputs in business systems;
- Enable the re-use and reduction of virgin materials;
- Improve resource production;
- Create green jobs;
- Improve revenue;
- Inform policy makers and policy reforms; and
- Improve the environment.
Industrial symbiosis connects companies for the purpose of identifying potential synergies for ‘waste swapping’. Industrial symbiosis reduces carbon dioxide emissions, landfill costs, use of virgin resources, industrial water usage, hazardous waste, pollution, transport, risks and costs. It also connects industries that might never have engaged in the natural course of business.
Industrial symbiosis project objectives
The pilot project aims to:
- Implement RECP programmes in more than 600 SMMEs in targeted African countries;
- Increase awareness and impart industrial symbiosis know-how;
- Increase profits and voluntary environmental compliance among the enterprises; and
- Promote policy reforms for the benefit of the environment, climate change and poverty alleviation based on the use of wastes.
If you are in the pilot countries, join the project and:
- Receive training in industrial symbiosis tools;
- Get assistance in conducting waste audits;
- Get assistance in identifying the value in waste;
- Benefit from guidelines in resource efficiency, cleaner production and waste management;
- Be empowered to voluntary comply with environmental laws; and
- Network with policy makers.
Do not miss out on an opportunity to benefit your company as well as contribute to the sustainable wellbeing of society. Contact the relevant implementation organisation today.
For more information about SWITCH Africa Green and the Industrial Symbiosis Project, contact:
Pretoria: +27 12 841 3772 Cape Town: +27 21 658 2776 Durban: +27 31 242 2441