Energy Management Systems (ISO/SANS 50001)
ISO 50001 is based on the management system model of continual improvement also used for other well-known standards such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This makes it easier for organisations to integrate energy management into their overall efforts to improve quality and environmental management.
ISO 50001:2011 provides a framework of requirements for organisations to:
- Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy
- Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
- Measure the results
- Review how well the policy works, and
- Continually improve energy management
ISO 50001 is the “standardisation in the field of energy management, including energy efficiency, energy performance, energy supply, procurement practices for energy using equipment and systems, and energy use as well as measurement of current energy usage, implementation of a measurement system to document, report, and validate continual improvement in the area of energy management.